heating tips for geeenville scHeating tips for Greenville SC residence

With things the way they are these days, it is important to know some basic heating tips to help save money.  In this post we will talk about just that.

Heating Tips

In a typical home, heating and cooling account for more than half of the home’s energy use, making it the largest energy expense for most households. Today’s high efficiency furnaces operate more efficiently while using less energy than older equipment.

If your heating equipment is more than 12 years old, consider replacing it — before it breaks down — to save money on utility bills, allow time for price research, and ensure your family’s comfort.

Save money on the purchase price of your new furnace by taking advantage of promotional rebates offered by equipment manufacturers. For more information, visit www.energystar.gov.

Replacing your heating system

When replacing your heating system, you’ll save money and benefit when you:

  • Always select ENERGY STAR qualified equipment. Although upfront costs can be higher, the long-term savings difference is regained with lower energy usage. ENERGY STAR furnaces are the most efficient models on the market.
  • The EnergyGuide label with a high AFUE rating.  The Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, or AFUE, rating measures the overall energy performance of a furnace or boiler.  An AFUE of 95% means that 95 percent of your energy dollar becomes heat for your home and the remaining 5 percent escapes up the chimney and elsewhere. The higher the AFUE, the more heat you get for your energy dollar.
  • Install a programmable thermostat.  You can save energy heating your home by turning your thermostat back 10 to 15 percent for 8 hours or more.  A programmable thermostat automatically sets the temperature according to a pre-set schedule.  When shopping for a programmable thermostat select a model that offers a manual override option that allows you to adjust the settings without affecting the rest of the pre-set programming.
  • A high efficiency gas furnace with an Electronically Commutated Motor (ECM).  Furnaces with an ECM motor use less electricity because it adjusts its speed to ensure optimal airflow at all times.  Traditional furnace motors run at only one speed – high.
  • Purchase high efficiency.  Purchase the highest efficiency furnace that you can afford.  For optimum savings, select a model with an AFUE rating of 95% or higher.
  • Size it right. Purchase the proper size furnace for your home.  An undersized furnace will not heat your home properly, and an oversized furnace will cost more to purchase and to operate. Check with your contractor to find the right size furnace for your home. Don’t assume the new unit should be exactly the same as your existing unit, which may not have been properly sized in the first place.
  • Proper installation is critical. Improper installation can lower efficiency by up to 30 percent, increase utility bills and possibly reduce the life of the equipment.

Read the full article here, dteenergy.com

Air Temp Control is committed to helping Greenville SC residence as well as all surrounding areas save money on there heating bills.  If you are having any type of heating problem be sure to call us today or simply fill in the form below.