The city of Greer is located in South Carolina’s Greenville and Spartanburg counties. 35,308 people called it home as of the 2020 Census. The Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin Metropolitan Statistical Area includes Greer. Additionally, the city is a component of Upstate South Carolina’s Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC Combined Statistical Area.
Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport (GSP), which serves Greenville, Spartanburg, and the Upstate, is located close to Greer. The largest BMW production facility in North America is located in Greer. BMW’s Greer facility, which employs around 9,000 people, has attracted dozens of suppliers in South Carolina, creating jobs for more than 12,000 people, according to a June 2005 article in The Greenville News.
The South Carolina Inland Port, an intermodal facility in Greer, is where containers are received and transported by rail to the Port of Charleston.
Greer may be found at 34°55?49??N and 82°13?30??W. (34.930304, -82.225052). By way of U.S. Route 29, it is located 12 miles (19 km) northeast of Greenville and 17 miles (27 km) west of Spartanburg.
The city has a total area of 22.7 square miles (58.9 km2), of which 20.6 square miles (53.4 km2) are land and 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), or 9.18%, are water. This information comes from the United States Census Bureau.
Lake Robinson, Apalache Lake, and Lake Cunningham are the three lakes in Greer. Greer’s northern region is traversed by the South Tyger River, which is a part of the Broad River basin.
Some history of Greer SC
James Manning Greer, whose genealogy may be traced from Scotland to Ireland, was the inspiration for the name Greer. Many of his offspring still live in the area. John Greer Sr., whose land in Laurens County was surveyed in 1750, had a descendent named James Manning Greer. Prior to the arrival of the Greer passengers on board the ship The Falls in 1764, John and his family had already made their way to Laurens County. Between Duncans Creek and the Enoree River and not far from Duncans Creek Presbyterian Church, John Greer’s family made their home there. James Manning Greer, a great-grandson of John Sr., placed his family in Greer’s Station, a neighborhood close to Greenville.
Before the American Revolutionary War, the region that is today known as Greer was a part of the “Domain of the Cherokees.” The region became a part of South Carolina in 1777. When the Richmond and Danville Air Route Railway (now the Norfolk Southern Railway) built a line connecting Atlanta and Charlotte, development toward the town’s founding took place. On property owned by James Manning Greer, a station known as Greer’s Station was erected. In the brand-new Greer’s Depot depot was where the first post office was situated. The depot was a Victorian building made of red brick with a cupola and a slate roof.
It faced Moore Street and was situated very next to the modern Norfolk Southern rail line between Trade Street and Depot Street. The Southern Railway System, who owned it at the time, demolished it in 1976 to avoid paying property taxes. Town of Greer’s was the name given to the town when it was incorporated in 1876. The name was formally changed to the City of Greer without a “s” at the end a century later.