Bob Vila’s Top 12 Painting Tips
If you want to paint like a pro, heed these little-known painting tips.
1. One trick to determine whether you have the right primer is to put a coat on and let it dry, then take a razor blade and very lightly mark an X in the paint. Put duct tape over the X and then pull back. If the paint sticks, you’ve made a good choice.
2. Add the top coat within 24 hours after the primer dries. That’s when the surface is stickiest.
3. Remove painter’s tape 2-3 hours after you’ve completed your final coat. If you leave tape on for too long, it can remove some fresh paint with it.
4. Always assume the job will require two coats; primer counts as one. A single coat won’t give the full sheen or be as washable.
5. Keep in mind that a flat finish won’t cover a high-gloss finish unless you sand the wall lightly or use a de-glosser first. Likewise, latex paint shouldn’t cover oil-base paint unless the surface has been primed correctly.
6. Resist the temptation to go over an area that is drying as you’ll only create brush marks.
7. Don’t skimp on paint. A gallon should cover 350-400 square feet.
8. Be prepared to use an extra coat of paint to even out the effects of a dark-colored paint.
9. Tint your primer to the color of your top coat for better coverage.
10. Don’t oversaturate. If paint drips from a roller, you have too much. Likewise, only dip the first third of your brush’s bristles into paint and tap the brush lightly side-to-side inside the can to remove excess paint.
11. Avoid cleaning latex brushes in a sink that drains into a septic tank. The latex residue can cause issues.
12. Put brushes in a plastic zippered bag when you take a break so they won’t dry out. You can even freeze them for longer storage.
You work hard for your money. We work just as hard to give you the best value for your money. Value, service, honesty: that’s the Air Temp promise. Remember Heating and air maintenance is the best defense against excess spending, and replacement. We are located in Greer SC, but that does not mean we will not service those outside Greer. So even if your outside the upstate of SC, contact us and we can work something out just for you.
Sometimes the most cost effective course of action is to replace an old, inefficient furnace or air conditioner with a new high-efficiency unit. New units save you money on your monthly heating and cooling bill: sometimes a lot of money. Now with tax breaks and other incentives you can save now and later.